Spinach and Chicken over Rice
• 1 1/2 T vegetable oil
• 5 peppercorns
• 3 cloves
• 3 cardamoms
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 medium brown onion, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 2 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
• 1 tomato, chopped
• 1 t of ground turmeric
• 1 t of ground coriander
• ½ t of ground cumin
• 150g-200g spinach
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 500 g chicken thigh fillets, trimmed, cut into small pieces
• ¼ stick butter
• Optional: 1 teaspoon paprika
1. Wash the spinach well and chop. Put into a pot with half a cup of water and salt to taste and boil till cooked.
2. Grind the spinach into a paste in a food processor. Keep aside.
3. Heat a deep skillet over medium - high heat with 2 t oil. Cook chicken for 3 to 4 minutes (until golden and just cooked through). Remove and keep aside.
4. Heat the same oil over medium - high.
5. Add peppercorns, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon stick. Add the onion and stir for 3 minutes until softened. Add garlic, ginger, and paprika. Cook stirring for 1 minute (until fragrant).
6. Add all the other spices – coriander, cumin and turmeric. Sauté for 5-6 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
7. Add the mixture to a food processor along with chicken stock. Puree into a smooth thick sauce.
8. Heat the skillet over medium heat and add the sauce to the pan and bring to a simmer.
9. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the chicken in the sauce. Cook for 6-7 minutes.
10. Add the spinach paste and mix well. Cook till most of the water dries up. Remove from the fire and add the butter.
Serve with: Indian whole wheat flatbread or Brown Basmati Rice
Spotlight on heath: Spinach as a main ingredient makes this dish rich in lutein - an antioxidant that helps protect your eyes.