Many people feel that they don’t have time to take a lunch break…but that doesn’t mean they’re not eating. Fast food and junk food are common replacements for a healthy meal. Take a real lunch break, make it healthy, and use it as an opportunity to catch up with a colleague. Here are 5 reasons why you’ll enjoy it more than eating alone:
1) Stay on track with your nutrition. It’s easier to avoid junk food when you’ve already invited someone to join you for a nutritious lunch. In all likelihood, one of your colleagues is trying to stay healthy too. Support each other!
2) Skip the sugar. A candy bar might give you a brief burst of energy, but you risk fatigue an hour later. Have a healthy lunch that includes protein, vegetables, and whole grains, and you’ll be alert and energetic all afternoon.
3) Get away from your screen. Posting on social media sites may seem like a break from work – but you’ll be better off putting down the cellphone and stepping away from the computer altogether. Rest your eyes and your brain for a bit, and when you return to work you’ll be ready to go.
4) Enjoy your friends. When you’ve had a difficult morning, the chance to commiserate will keep you sane for the rest of the afternoon. And when you’ve had a great morning, what better way to celebrate your successes than with your work-friends?
5) Improve your social network. Extend a lunch invitation to someone you don’t know very well. You’ll enjoy getting to know your colleague, and you’ll gain a resource to collaborate with at work. And you might make a new friend!
The more social interaction you have at work, the happier you’re likely to be at your job. So grab a colleague and head to lunch! You’ll be setting yourself up for a happier, more productive afternoon.
Do you make time for a healthy lunch break each day? Share with us in the comments below!